SEBH Support for Teachers and Students

Grant Wood AEA helps educators utilize a multi-tiered system of supports to help students with social, emotional, behavioral health (SEBH) , and to support the overall wellness of students.

Grant Wood AEA provides a variety of supports for districts and schools in the area of Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS) for Behavior. AEA building-based personnel including school psychologists, social workers, and special education consultants provide on-going, regular support to schools. Personnel from the SEBH teams also provide additional support to AEA building-based staff, districts, and schools as needed.

Learn More About Four of Grant Wood AEA's SEBH Support Programs


Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS)

PBIS is a multi-tiered system of support for behavior and provides the framework for teachers to provide and monitor prevention and intervention practices.

Grant Wood AEA staff offer training and support for districts using PBIS programs, which focus on supporting positive, predictable and safe learning conditions. When implemented with fidelity, PBIS has been shown to reduce discipline challenges in the classroom while improving student academic performance and the overall climate in a classroom or building.

student front of class

Interconnected Systems Framework

Grant Wood AEA staff are collaborating with several district and building leaders to install the Interconnected System Framework (ISF) in key buildings in the AEA service area. ISF is a structure and process to integrate Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) and School Mental Health (SMH) within school systems that addresses the limitations of both PBIS and SMH by:

  • expanding the continuum of comprehensive interventions in schools for students
  • utilizing a multi-tiered system of supports for students
  • supporting districts using data for decision-making

Projected Outcomes:
When resources, training, systems, data, and practices are blended, there will be:

  • positive school climate
  • improved relationships among family, students and staff
  • comprehensive continuum of supports for all children
  • youth who feel connected and safe at school
  • reduced stigma of mental health
  • reduced bullying

kids greeting each other at a front door

Behavior Specialty Teams: Behavior Coaches and the Challenging Behavior Support Team (CBST)

Grant Wood AEA has two behavior specialty teams to help ensure districts and teachers have access to research-based behavior principles and support when addressing challenging student behavior.

  • GWAEA Behavior Coaches and CBST collaboratively help AEA staff, districts, and teachers access learning in behavioral principles and equip them to provide evidence-based support to students when addressing challenging behavior.

  • Behavior coaches support AEA building based staff in the area of SEBH. They provide the initial contact for school teams requesting behavioral services support, complete needs assessments and ongoing support to teams.