VAST Center Support for Local Districts
The Grant Wood AEA Van Allen Science Teaching Center (VAST) is committed to providing:
- Opportunities to learn in a hands-on, minds-on oriented classroom using research-based, comprehensive curriculum for ALL students.
- The structure to experience science with the integration of reading, writing and mathematics.
Research-based high quality instructional materials that are continuously updated to current versions.
Classroom materials for every student to experience hands-on, minds-on science learning opportunities.
Grade-to-grade learning progressions that build on each other to offer every student the opportunity to learn the key concepts that lead to science literacy.
Classroom summative and formative assessments are included in the curriculum units.
Access to high quality professional development classes that are directly relevant to teachers’ classroom science teaching responsibility and targets new teachers
Access to GWAEA science consultant support for assistance in implementation
Technical materials assistance from the VAST Center staff
Iowa Governor's STEM Council Scale-Up Grant
- Engineering is Elementary
EiE - IA Standards Alignment
Iowa Core Science
- Iowa Core Module 1 (AEA Learning Online)
FOSS 3rd Edition
FOSS NG Edition
Framework for K-12 Science
Education: Practices, Crosscutting Concepts and Core Ideas (2013)
Upcoming Opportunities in Science Education
Living Systems 3rd Edition
- Introductory Card Set
Pebbles, Sand and Silt
- Illustrated Word Wall Cards, 3rd Edition
Plants and Animals
- Plants/Seed Match Cards