Oct 04, 2017
Social Studies Monthly Hot Topics
We heard you! You've asked for resources related to the Constitution and clarification on the State Assessment Requirement for Government. Find your answers in this month's hot topics!
Resources to Teach the Constitution
Here are some resources for teaching about the Constitution.
- Iowa Constitution
- History of the Iowa Constitution
- Constitution Day Webinar from Iowa Bar Association
- Center for Civic Education
- National Archives
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- National Council for the Social Studies
- Library of Congress
- Annenberg Learner
- Bill of Rights Institute
- National Constitution Center
- Civic Renewal Network
- Constitute Project
State Assessment Requirement for Government
Several people have asked about the government requirement on the State Assessment document that was sent out by Dave Tilly last week.
The government requirement requires districts to ensure high school government teachers are giving an "end of unit" assessment. It doesn't define what this assessment is or should be.
The scores are not sent to the state. It comes from Iowa Code 256.11(5)(b). This is also not related to the bill that was introduced, but didn't pass, last year.
Echoes and Reflections: What Rights are Most Important to You?
Hispanic Heritage Month
Check out these resources to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month.
- Hispanic Heritage Month.gov
- Anti-Defamation League
- Latino Americans Share Their Experiences
- PBS Learning Media: Latino Americans
- Migration is Beautiful