Nov 06, 2017
ELL Collection in Media Center
Looking for content to supplement your ELL curriculum? The media center recently added an ELL collection which is funded by Title III. The materials must be used with ELL students. For this reason, teachers checking out materials need to be on a list called ELL Collection. If anyone wishing to access the collection cannot do so, they should contact either Lynn Tiemann or Lisa Klein to be added to the list.
Types of content found in the collection include:
- Sample curriculum for English Learners
- Native language books
- Adapted fiction and nonfiction books
- ELL phonics kits
- Newcomer curriculum
- Professional development materials and resources for book studies
Languages that are represented include English and Spanish materials. Our ELL consultants are looking to add Arabic, French, Vietnamese, and other requested languages. The GWAEA classroom collection has a section for English Language Learner materials. Most of these resources are in English-Spanish/Spanish-English format. A few popular titles include:
- "A Gift for Abuelita: Celebrating the Day of the Dead = Un Regalo Para Abuelita: En Celebracion Dia De Los Muertos" by Nancy Luenn
- "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins
- "Mockingjay = Sinsajo" by Suzanne Collins
- "Happy Thanksgiving! = Feliz Día de Acción de Gracias!" by Alex Appleby
There are also some awesome tools that are available online. GWAEA ELL Consultants recommend:
- Colorin Colorado - A bilingual site for educators and families of English Language Learners
- Newsela - Free version includes current events in English and Spanish with 5 different lexile levels
- ELPA21 - Is made up of state education agency staff, experts in English language learning and standards, language development practitioners and researchers focused on the role of language in content-area classrooms.
- Classroom Videos from Colorin Colorado - Highlights effective instruction of English Language Learners.
- Six Things.net - A blog for English language teaching.
- everythingesl-blog spot - A blog about the challenges of teaching ELL in general education.
- Colorin Colorado Podcasts - Listen to the experts in ELL.
Grant Wood AEA Online Resources:
- TumbleBooks - Interactive eBooks for primary grade levels can be switched to Spanish or French.
- Study Guides and Strategies from Nettrekker - Available in multiple languages
Use your online resource building username and password to access recommended resources from TumbleBooks and Nettrekker.