Nov 16, 2017
New AASL Standards
AASL (American Association of School LIbrarians) released new standards last week at this year’s national conference. What an amazing opportunity it was to be part of this and experience the unveiling of these standards through pre-conference and concurrent sessions. The standards include the domains of think, create, share and grow. Each domain has the shared foundations of:
- Inquire - Build new knowledge by inquiring, thinking critically, identifying problems, and developing strategies for solving problems.
- Include - Demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to inclusiveness and respect for diversity in the learning community
- Collaborate - Work effectively with others to broaden perspective and work toward common goals.
- Curate - Make meaning for oneself and others by collecting organizing, and sharing resources of personal relevance.
- Explore - Discover and innovate in a growth mindset developed through experience and reflection.
- Engage - Demonstrate safe, legal, and ethical creating and sharing of knowledge products independently while engaging in a community of practice and an interconnected world.
These shared foundations will help us to build the gap between library and school cultures.
The standards connect to to the school library, school librarian and the learner. AASL has done a remarkable job of breaking down these competencies for different types of learners. Personas describe different stakeholders and provide direction in bringing the standards to life through examples of each persona.
The new standards empower each one of us to pick a place that works best for our stakeholders and incorporate this new way of thinking about best practices. We have a unique opportunity to utilize these standards in a way that makes sense for each of us. As we move forward with learning more about the new standards here are a few resources to get you started:
- AASL Standards website
- It All Fits Together: The New National Standards for Learners, School Librarians, and School Libraries Webinar - November 16, 2017 at 6 p.m. CST. Register via AdobeConnect.
~Deanna Weber, GWAEA Media Specialist