Dec 13, 2017
Media Center Holiday Greetings
Wishing you a Happy Holiday and a Happy New Year from the Grant Wood AEA Media Center Staff.
Here are some holiday resources that may be helpful to share with educators to support instruction during the holiday season!
GWAEA Media Collections
- Hannukah/Passover by Michael Keck - Discusses the religious symbolism of Hanukkah and Passover. Uses stories, puppets and songs to present the history of these Jewish celebrations.
- The Polar Express by Chris VanAllsburg - A magical train ride on Christmas Eve takes a boy to the North Pole to receive a special gift from Santa Claus.
- The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson - The Herman’s were absolutely the worst kids in the history of the world. They have never heard the Christmas story before and their interpretation, which includes beating up Herod and finding some decent gifts for the the Wise men, promise disaster.
- Winter Holiday Stories by Ming Na Wen - Collection includes The Little Drummer Boy; One Zillion Valentines and Sam and the Lucky Money. In The Little Drummer Boy, Ezra Jack Keats' illustrations are brought to life with joyful music. In One Zillion Valentines, two boys find a unique way of giving valentines to everyone. Based on the book by Frank Modell. In Sam and the Lucky Money, Sam goes with his mother to Chinatown on Chinese New Year's Day to spend his gift of lucky money. Based on the book by Karen Chin.
- Celebrations: Hanukkah, Christmas, The Chinese New Year by Marlene J. McCracken - Because content is central to language learning, the Themes series incorporates favorite subjects into resource books full of proven interdisciplinary student-centered activities for teachers of grades K-4.
- Readers’ Theater of Holiday Plays - Plays for Columbus Day, Halloween, Election Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Lincoln's Birthday, Valentine's Day, Washington's Birthday, St. Patrick's Day, April Fools' Day, and Memorial Day.
- A Christmas Carol by Patricia Hutchinson - A miser learns the true meaning of Christmas when three ghostly visitors review his past and foretell his future.
Online Resources for Christmas
- The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry - FollettShelf eBook
- Bear Noel by Olivier Dunrea - FollettShelf eBook
- The Polar Express by Chris VanAllsburg - FollettShelf eBook
- The Night Before Christmas - Watch the story and read the book on BookFlix
- Mia’s Nutcracker Ballet by Robin Farley - Mia the ballerina kitten stars in this whimsical retelling of the Christmas favorite The Nutcracker. - TumbleBooks
- Papa’s Latkes by Michelle Edwards - For Selma and her little sister, this is their first Chanukah without Mama. Selma learns that she can still celebrate and remember her Mama while making Latkes. - Tumblebooks
- Merry Christmas, Splat! from Weston Woods - Splat wants a really big Christmas present from Santa, but he worries he hasn't been good enough to get one. - AEA Digital Library
- How to Catch an Elf from Dreamscape - You've been waiting all year long, and now it's finally Christmas Eve! Is this the year you'll finally catch an elf?
- Multicultural Christmas: Holiday Facts and Fun by Lucerne Media - The spirit of a favorite holiday's underlying message - love and joy - is enhanced by the unique presentation featuring celebrations of families from Scandinavia, Native America, South Korea, Mexico, and Ethiopia - from Learn360.
Online Resources for New Year’s
- New Year’s Day Holiday: Video Culture Class - American Holiday - Learn more about American culture! Ever wondered what the most important American holidays are, and how they are celebrated - from Learn360.
- Ducksters: Holidays for Kids: New Year’s Day - Kids learn about New Year's Day. The history and facts about this holiday which celebrates the start of the new year - from Nettrekker.
- Yad Vashem: Marking the New Year - Even in the midst of the horror of the Holocaust, the Jewish people kept their religious traditions. "Walk" through this online exhibit and view how they celebrated the New Year before, during, and after the Holocaust - from Nettrekker.
Online Resources for Hanukkah
- Hanukkah Story - Read and watch a story about Hanukkah - from BookFlix.
- Hanukkah Bear by Dreamscape - A bear learns the meaning of Hanukkah - from AEA Digital Library.
- Nettrekker - K-5 - Search results for Hanukkah include PBS Learning Media and Sesame Street.
- Nettrekker - 6-12 - Search results for Hanukkah include The History Channel, ABCYA.com Hanukkah Word Search, and Professor Garfield Foundation: KB Kids: Celebrations of Light.
- Holidays of Winter: President’s Day by Lucerne Media - Discusses President's Day and why Americans celebrate this holiday - from Learn360.
- Holidays of Winter: Valentine’s Day by Lucerne Media - Discusses Valentine's Day and its traditions - from Learn360.
- Holidays of Winter: St. Patrick’s Day and Mardi Gras by Lucerne Media - Discusses Mardi Gras and Saint Patrick's Day - from Learn360.
- Holidays of Winter: Groundhog Day by Lucerne Media - Discusses Groundhog Day - from Learn360.
AEA building username and password are required to access the online resources.