Sep 07, 2018
VAST Academy Professional Learning Opportunities
The Grant Wood AEA Van Allen Science Teaching Academy (VAST) offers the following VAST Academy professional learning opportunities for area educators. Registration is currently underway. To register, visit Grant Wood AEA Professional Learning.
Full-Day VAST Academy
Intended Audience: Any educator who teaches the FOSS curriculum.
At this traditional full-day VAST Academy professional learning, educators will gain in-depth understanding of a specific unit.
- Learn unit specific science content, building your capacity as a science teacher.
- Experience the investigations in the unit as your students will.
- Collaborate with area teachers.
- Gain tried and true teaching and materials tips from experienced facilitators.
*Recommended by GWAEA Science Consultants
Intended Audience: New educators who have never taught the FOSS curriculum.
At this full-day of professional learning, you will learn how to implement the FOSS curriculum in your classroom. The professional learning will integrate portions of the three grade-level units throughout the day.
- Understand how to teach the FOSS curriculum, including focus questions, notebooking, assessment, FOSSweb, etc.
- Gain awareness of the rich resources that support the curriculum.
- Collaborate with same grade teachers.
Intended Audience: Educators who have previously taught the FOSS curriculum and have changed grade levels.
During this two-hour, self-paced online professional learning, participants will become familiar with a specific unit and materials.
- Become familiar with the content of a specific FOSS unit.
- Complete on your time, at your pace.
- Engage in professional learning prior to
NOTE: Teachers should complete these
modules as close to teaching the unit as