Jun 21, 2019
Introduction to the ELL Critical Data Process and Distinguishing Between Disability and Language Acquisition
Sept. 19, 2019, 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Steven Gill will present a process to make informed data-based decisions regarding more intervention or evaluation. There are three sections to this training.
The first section covers:
- background issues
- research needed to assist staff in addressing the belief systems of others
- personal belief systems impacting progress in this field.
The content will focus on understanding the relationship between acculturation, belief systems, practices, and results.
The second section addresses how children qualify for special education services with a focus on ELL specific issues that arise during qualification. This includes how to reduce the problems and core issues that lead to disproportionality, while breaking down the problem to three main areas of qualification.
The third section focuses on training those in attendance on how to complete the ELL Critical Data Process. The process helps staff to:
- gather the most critical data
- follow a structured process
- create a product that helps them to see whether more interventions are needed, or if
- a special education referral is a reasonable option.
The ELL Critical Data Process brings key staff members to the table and structures the discussions so that a student’s needs are better understood.
TARGET AUDIENCE – K-12 Administrators, AEA Education Consultants, Instructional Coaches, School Counselors, School Psychologists, School Social Workers, Special Education Consultants, Speech-Language Pathologists
COURSE #180798 GWAEA area educators ONLY – Section #272043
Non-GWAEA area educators – Section #272044
REGISTRATION DEADLINE – Sept. 12, 2019
Deepen Your Understanding of the ELL Critical Data Process
Sept. 20, 2019, 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Steven Gill will review the ELL Critical Data Process to increase the process understanding and implementation. The groups will have frequent discussions and share their thoughts. Steven uses this time to formatively assess group learning and reteach as needed.
The groups will work through two case studies, including one real case from their schools and/or agency using an evaluation document that has been redacted. This will be done in part to help:
- increase the understanding of the correct implementation of the ELL Critical Data Process, and
- emphasize how critical it is to have, process, and document data within the process of determining whether or not a language learner has a disability.
The group will then use the ELL Critical Data Process Workbook to assist a review.
TARGET AUDIENCE – PreK-12 Administrators, AEA Education Consultants, Instructional Coaches, School Counselors, School Psychologists, School Social Workers, Special Education Consultants, Speech-Language Pathologists, Support Staff
GWAEA area educators ONLY – Section #272045
Non-GWAEA area educators – Section #272047
REGISTRATION DEADLINE – Sept. 13, 2019
- Participation fee GWAEA area Educators ONLY - None
- Participation fee Outside GWAEA area $25
- Optional Book fee $40
- Registration is not complete until all fees are paid in full.