Aug 19, 2019
Social Studies August 2019 Newsletter
Welcome to 2019-2020 School Year!
- Year 3 Statewide/GWAEA Professional Learning Workshops
- Online PD Social Studies modules (year 1 and 2) and GWAEA Social Studies Canvas course
- Year 3 PL for Administrators and Curriculum Directors
- National Czech Slovak Museum & Library study trip opportunities
Register for these courses with AEA Learning Online.
2. Year 1 & 2 AEA Learning On-line Statewide/Grant Wood AEA Professional Development Modules for elementary and secondary workshops are now available for you to revisit or see for the first time. (Free courses)
The objectives for year 1:
- Identify and apply the structure of the new standards in my classroom.
- Understand and apply the instructional shifts.
- Apply the inquiry process of social studies.
- Create and use compelling and supporting questions as part of the inquiry process with my students.
Year 2 (2018-2019)
The objectives for year 2:
- Identify the basics of creating coherent unit plans.
- Begin to process how to use new standards within the unit design.
- Create a coherent unit based on a bundle of standards with aligned questions, sources, and tasks.
Free open-enrollment Canvas course* to assist educators in reviewing, exploring and implementing the new Iowa Social Studies Core Standards. The creation of this Canvas course is a means of supporting those educators who were unable to participate in the two-day state workshops, as well as a means to support and connect educators who are working through the implementation process. The highlight is self-paced and connected to Grant Wood AEA Social Studies team for feedback to questions.
3. Year 3 State Social Studies Standards Workshop for Administrators and Curriculum Directors
Sept. 10, 9 a.m. - noon at Grant Wood AEA Sixth St. facility