Sep 20, 2019
Special Education Calendars & Count Info
Get a Month-By-Month Reminder of Key Deadlines
The new school year is off to a fast start: don't lose track of deadlines and tasks!
Grant Wood AEA special education consultants have created these month-by-month calendars of special education deadlines, prompts and reminders to help district educators keep on track.
Key Dates for Special Education Count
There are actually three child counts that occur within the Special Education Enrollment Count. One is for state funding and uses weighted enrollment figures (WEF). The second and third are for federal funding and count the number of students (ages 3-21) on IEPs as well as children (ages birth to two) on IFSPs. The dollars claimed for this 2019-2020 school year will be distributed to districts in 2020-2021. The 2019-2020 Count date is Friday, Oct. 25, 2019.
Other important dates include:
- Friday, Oct. 11:This is the due date for continuing IEPs. A meeting should be held (and IEP submitted) by this date for any student with an annual IEP due date that is before October 25th. If meeting this date is not possible due to extenuating circumstances, please document this in writing and send to Erin Welsh and your IMS data entry person on or before October 11; include the expected date for IEP completion in this documentation.
- Friday, Oct. 11 to Friday, Oct. 25: This is the window of due dates for IEPs and associated paperwork for newly identified students, “move-ins,” students with changes in weighting, or students exiting special education. Teams should also discuss any student who has not attended school who may need to be exited.
- Friday, Oct. 25: FINAL COUNT DATE - ALL OPEN IEPs WITH A MEETING DATE ON/BEFORE
OCT 25 MUST BE SUBMITTED BY THIS DATE!
- Tuesday, Nov. 5: Final district count information (to be reviewed and verified) and final certification form (to be signed) will be emailed to superintendents.
- Friday, Nov. 8: All signed district certification forms must be submitted to Jessica Knudson (email@example.com) no later than 4:00 p.m. on this date. No further changes can be made to count reports after this date!