Feb 26, 2021
Grant Wood AEA Social Studies Team Announces Updated Resource
The Grant Wood AEA Social Studies team is excited to share our updated free open-enrollment Canvas course to assist educators in reviewing, exploring and implementing the new Iowa Social Studies Core Standards. This Canvas course is a means of supporting those educators who have been unable to participate in the two-day state workshops, as well as a means to support and connect educators who are working through the implementation process.
Highlights of the GWAEA Canvas SS course include:
- Personalized Navigation: Individual modules in any sequence depending on the needs of the individual or group.
- Interactive Components: The course includes discussion opportunities for participants to ask questions (to fellow educators and to the GWAEA Social Studies team members).
- Sharing Opportunities: The course also has provisions for sharing units and lessons. We often have requests for what are other districts doing, can we see examples used in the classroom, what resources are being used. The two choices do share many common ideas and links.
- Additional Resources: In addition to the content being shared in regards to navigating and implementing the standards, there are a variety of resources shared within the course to support a deepened understanding of unpacking standards, creating proficiency scales and navigation usage rights, as well as links to resources to use with students.
This course has enabled open enrollment.
If teachers already have a Grant Wood AEA Canvas account, they can self-enroll in the course.
Alternatively, if educators do not have a GWAEA Canvas account, they can sign up here and use the following join code: TFGELM.
Support for Implementation and Resources
For any further questions about implementation of the course or resources, please contact one of the Grant Wood AEA Social Studies team members:
- Shannon Kehoe
- Dawn Kruse
- Chris Klostermann
- Andrea Compton
- Jamie Larson
- Wanda Steuri
- Dianna Geers (Media Center Resources)
- Lynn Kleinmeyer (OER support)