Apr 14, 2021
Grant Wood AEA Schools Honored for Creating Safe, Positive Environments
Despite the challenges from the past year, two members of the Grant Wood AEA PBIS team (including Tammy Beener and Jillian O'Rourke) continued assisting schools with their development and implementation of PBIS. Recently, those district efforts were recognized by the Department of Education.
Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) is a Multi-Tiered System of Support framework for behavior. The framework supports teachers as they monitor prevention and intervention practices. PBIS/MTSS is an every-education decision-making framework addressing the "whole child." The framework supports the academic and social-emotional-behavioral needs of students. PBIS has been shown to reduce major disciplinary infractions, reduce out-of-school suspension, improve prosocial behavior, boost academic achievement and improve school climate.
Throughout the duration of the pandemic, the Grant Wood AEA PBIS team supported buildings in accessing resources to address specific needs in the area of SEBH, particularly in matching them with resources developed and adapted from PBIS as well as Return to Learn Resources developed by the Iowa Department of Education in collaboration with the AEAs. “We modified our quarterly coaching sessions to be offered virtually and more frequently to support the quickly changing needs of buildings and sub shortages.” shares Jillian, “We also have provided all of our sessions as recordings on our website.”
The Iowa Department of Education has awarded schools statewide for their work on implementing PBIS. As a result of the PBIS team’s efforts, 11 Grant Wood Area Education Agency schools were honored. Many of those recognized have attended GWAEA review sessions to build understanding and capacity within their building PBIS teams.
To see a description of each honor level (Honor through Paramount) reference this article by the Department of Ed.
- Amana Elementary, Clear Creek CSD (Honor)
- Longfellow Elementary, Marion Independent School District (Honor)
- Anamosa Middle School, Anamosa CSD (Honor Plus)
- Center Point-Urbana Intermediate, Center Point-Urbana CSD (Banner)
- Center Point-Urbana Primary, Center Point-Urbana CSD (Banner)
- Novak Elementary, Linn-Mar CSD (Banner)
- Prairie Hill Elementary, College CSD (Banner)
- Excelsior Middle School, Linn-Mar CSD (Banner Plus)
- Midland Middle/High School, Midland CSD (Banner Plus)
- Monticello High School, Monticello CSD (Banner Plus)
- Elizabeth Tate Alternative High School, Iowa City CSD (Paramount)