2023 College For Kids
Summer Enrichment Program
2023 Registration Now Open!
- Online Registration << Click Here
- 2023 Registration Guide
- 2023 Summer Course Catalog (Updated April 6, 2023)
- Acceptable Use Policy for Technology
- Iowa City Bus Transportation Sign Up Via Lincoln PTO
- Financial Assistance Information
- Summer Program Information
- College for Kids Campus Map
2023 Program Dates
- Tuesday, June 20 - Friday, June 30 (Session A)
- Monday, July 10 - Thursday, July 20 (Session B)
- Tuition per session = $285/student
- Optional Early Bird class per session = $65/student
Looking for more information?Here are some frequently asked questions about College for Kids as well as some past blog posts about our program. For additional needs, concerns or questions, please email Susie Green or call 319-399-6775.
About College for KidsFounded in 1987, the College for Kids Summer Enrichment Program is offered to eligible high-ability middle school students who enjoy being academically and/or creatively challenged and who wish to expand on their advanced talents and abilities by taking faster-paced, topic-specific courses on a college campus. College for Kids: • Is a Grant Wood AEA program held at Coe College in Cedar Rapids. • Offers more than 50 courses taught by talented area educators and professionals. • Provides opportunities for inquiry-based learning, independent study, group & individual projects, cooperative learning, and various other hands-on activities. • Is attended by over 900 students each summer, representing schools in the seven-county region.
Student Eligibility RequirementsEligible students will have completed 6th, 7th or 8th grade by summer 2023 and are enrolled in a school or homeschool in the Grant Wood AEA service area. Eligible students are capable learners who demonstrate the following: • The ability to work cooperatively to solve problems and apply concepts • The ability to exhibit independence, perseverance and flexibility in their work • The ability to keep pace with advanced learning opportunities • A curiosity in a wide range of interests with the ability to create and invent
AcademicHave met at least one of the following criteria:
- Have been identified for/participate in a gifted education program at school.
- Have achieved at least one of the following testing criteria:
- ISAP: Advanced category in English language arts (ELA): reading and/or language/writing, mathematics, and/or science
- Cog/AT: Above average or very high category in verbal, quantitative, non-verbal, or composite
- NWEA MAP: High category RIT score in reading, language, math, and/or science
Fine ArtsHave met at least one of the following criteria:
- Have demonstrated exemplary fine arts ability or performance at school.
- Have enthusiastically participated in school and/or community-based fine arts programming.
Other Eligibility ConsiderationsEligible College for Kids students may exhibit several of the following traits:
- Intellectual curiosity in school-related and/or personal interests
- Critical thinking skills (toward concepts and self)
- Goal-directed behavior
- High expectations for self and others
- Outward empathy, eagerness, and passion (service focused)
- Focused and determined behaviors or personality