Grant Wood AEA has an interdisciplinary computer science team committed to supporting area schools in addressing computer science standards. Area schools should contact their assigned computer science contact for more information on how to get started.
Click here to view archived newsletters.
The 2023 Iowa Computer Science Professional Development Week (CS PD Week) hosted over 300 PK-12 educators at the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls!
Save the dates for the 2024 CS PD Week June 10 through June 14. Registration for this in-person event will be shared when available and includes PD & materials, stipends, lodging and several meals during the week. Additional information and links for registration can be found on the CS PD Week web page.
Photo credit NewBoCo
Computer Science Requirements For Districts (Click to Enlarge)
- Each public school district and nonpublic school shall develop and implement a K-12 computer science plan by July 1, 2022.
2. One-half unit of computer science incorporating the standards shall by offered, beginning July 1, 2022 in high school.
3. Computer science instruction incorporating the standards shall be taught, beginning July 1, 2023, in at least one grade level 1-6.
4. Computer science instruction incorporating the standards shall be offered, beginning July 1, 2023, in at least one grade level 7-8.
2023-24 Funding Opportunities
⏰ Time Sensitive Computer Science Professional Development & Funding Opportunities!
The Iowa Department of Education has appropriated funds to help districts meet the computer science requirements included in House File 2629. Please learn more in the Important Computer Science Updates & Funding Opportunities document.
Grant Wood AEA is part of the Statewide Iowa AEA CS Team. Please visit the team's website at bit.ly/IowaAEACS for SCRIPT resources, CS standards and unpacking information, current updates, and statewide computer science programs.
Professional Learning & Events
💡 Professional Learning
📑 Computer Science Standards
The Iowa State Board of Education adopted statewide Computer Science standards in June 2018. The standards include five concept areas and seven practices. The standards progression chart and abridged standards document are both good resources for educators.
ℹ️ Curriculum & Club Resources
- Elementary K-2 Curriculum & Supplemental Materials List
- Elementary 3-5 Curriculum & Supplemental Materials List
- Middle School Curriculum & Supplemental Materials List
- High School Curriculum & Supplemental Materials List
- Extracurricular Clubs & Competition Resource List (resource coming soon)
🤖 Physical Computing Resources
Check out our new Physical Computing ToolKit website at bit.ly/GWAEAPhysicalComputingToolkit! The website highlights resources & lessons to teach CS with robots, micro-controllers, and robotics kits!
You can learn more about:
💡 Lesson Ideas from Beginning to Advanced!
🎥 Video Tutorials
💰 Lending and Purchasing Information
Please use the bit.ly/PCReserveGWAEA form to reserve physical computing devices or robots. Reservations are for two weeks.
🤜🏿 🤛🏼 Professional Organizations & Networking
- CSTA (Computer Science Teachers Association) Iowa supports and connects educators across Iowa with teaching Computer Science. Join both CSTA and CSTA Iowa for FREE!
🎉 Special Events
🎓 Computer Science Endorsement Programs
📨 Contact the Team
Search our computer science contact list to find your district contact(s).
- Corey Rogers: Digital Learning Consultant
- Bridget Castelluccio: Digital Learning Consultant
- Amber Bridge: Digital Learning Consultant
- Sara Whitt: Mathematics Consultant
- Laura Musser: Science Consultant
- Emily Burmeister: Literacy Consultant
- Dianna Geers: Teacher Librarian
- Jen Boyd: Future Ready Consultant
- Ann Langenfeld: School Improvement Consultant
- Mackenzie Campbell: Mathematics Consultant
- Maria Hasken-Averkamp: Science Consultant
- Bridget Speer: Teacher Librarian
- Molly Crock: Future Ready Consultant
- Stacy Behmer: Coordinator of Digital Learning & Media Services