Grant Wood AEA has an interdisciplinary computer science team committed to supporting area schools in addressing computer science standards. Area schools should contact their Digital Learning consultant for more information on how to get started.
Click here to view archived newsletters.
The Iowa State Board of Education adopted voluntary statewide Computer Science standards in June 2018. The standards include five concept areas and seven practices. The standards progression chart and abridged standards document are both good resources for educators.
Computer Science Requirements For Districts (Click to Enlarge)
- Each public school district and nonpublic school shall develop and implement a K-12 computer science plan by July 1, 2022.
2. One-half unit of computer science incorporating the standards shall by offered, beginning July 1, 2022 in high school.
3. Computer science instruction incorporating the standards shall be taught, beginning July 1, 2023, in at least one grade level 1-6.
4. Computer science instruction incorporating the standards shall be offered, beginning July 1, 2023, in at least one grade level 7-8.
Grant Wood AEA is part of the Statewide Iowa AEA CS Team. Please visit the team’s website at bit.ly/IowaAEACS for SCRIPT resources, CS standards and unpacking information, current updates, and statewide computer science programs.
2022-23 Funding Opportunities
⏰ Time Sensitive Computer Science Professional Development & Funding Opportunities!
The statewide AEA Computer Science team was awarded nearly one million dollars for K-12 Teacher PD this summer. Please look at the program information at the AEA Statewide Computer Science grant programs website. We are accepting applications on our 📋 Waitlist Form if you are interested in participating this summer!
The Iowa Department of Education has appropriated funds to help districts meet the computer science requirements included in House File 2629. Please learn more in the Important Computer Science Updates & Funding Opportunities document.
Professional Learning & Events
💡 Professional Learning
ℹ️ Curriculum & Club Resources
- Elementary Curriculum & Supplemental Materials List (resource coming soon)
- Middle School Curriculum & Supplemental Materials List (resource coming soon)
- High School Curriculum & Supplemental Materials List
- Extracurricular Clubs & Competition Resource List (resource coming soon)
🤖 Physical Computing Resources
- Want to learn more about our physical computing demo kits? Complete our short Physical Computing Interest Survey now. We’ll follow up with a curated list of physical computing devices for you to consider and test drive.
- Our Physical Computing Toolbox has resources & lessons to teach CS with robots, micro-controllers, and robotics kits!
🤜🏿 🤛🏼 Professional Organizations & Networking
- CSTA (Computer Science Teachers Association) Iowa supports and connects educators across Iowa with teaching Computer Science. Join both CSTA and CSTA Iowa for FREE!
🎉 Special Events
- Computer Science Education Week & Hour of Code
- Upcoming special events (resource coming soon)
🎓 Computer Science Endorsement Programs
📨 Contact the Team
- Corey Rogers: Digital Learning Consultant
- Bridget Castelluccio: Digital Learning Consultant
- Amber Bridge: Digital Learning Consultant
- Sara Whitt: Mathematics Consultant
- Laura Musser: Science Consultant
- Emily Burmeister: Literacy Consultant
- Dianna Geers: Teacher Librarian
- Jen Boyd: Future Ready Consultant
- Ann Langenfeld: School Improvement Consultant
- Mackenzie Campbell: Mathematics Consultant
- Stacy Behmer: Coordinator of Digital Learning & Media Services